Food This Hack Will Forever Change the Way You Peel Potatoes
This Banana Has an Edible Peel
This Banana Has an Edible PeelWith what is essentially a built-in carrying case, bananas are already one of the most convenient fruits around. But what if the peel itself was edible too? The wild world that must be springing up within your imagination at the thought just got even wilder, because it just so happens to be the world in which we already live, thanks to the Mongee banana (pronounced mon-gay), created by D&T Farm of Japan.
When I saw a trick for removing potato skins by slipping them off without using the dreaded vegetable peeler, I knew I had to try it immediately to see if it worked. YouTube user Foody Tube'sclaims you can skip the peeling process before boiling the potatoes and, instead, squeeze the skin straight off the potatoes once they're fully cooked. It sounds almost too good to be true, but guess what? It works.
Here's how to do it right:
Using a sharp knife, pierce the skin only and draw a line all the way around the center of the potato. Do this quickly by twirling the potato around with one hand while keeping the knife steady in the other.
This Tyler Florence Hack Will Forever Change the Way You Make Mashed Potatoes
Food Network chef Tyler Florence shares his trick for crazy good mashed potatoes. As Tyler instructed, I added "cold, peeled, chopped potatoes, cream, butter, and olive oil" to a pan. He also told us, "I like garlic. I like sage and rosemary flavor combinations, and a little bit of thyme." To my pot of 3 pounds of potatoes, I added enough half and half to just barely cover the potatoes. Frankly, I was scared about using straight cream, which is why I deviated slightly from his instruction. I then added about 3 tablespoons of salted butter and 3 tablespoons of olive oil. I added a few cloves of peeled garlic and half a bunch each of sage, rosemary, and thyme.
Transfer the potatoes to a giant pot of cold water (cover the potatoes by at least an inch of water). Boil the potatoes until they are fork tender, then drain them. Once they're cool enough to touch, peel the potato skin from each side of the punctured line you created. And voilà - the skin will slide off effortlessly! Not only does this drastically speed up the process for making mashed potatoes, but it also makes cleanup a lot less stressful. Once you try this cooking method, you'll probably never go back. You're on your way to the quickest and bestof your life.
Related gallery: The Pioneer Woman's Most Popular Casseroles Will Inspire You to Cook
What Is "Orange Peel Skin" — & How Can You Get Rid Of It?
<p>The internet is riddled with complaints about the one and only skin concern to be named after a citrus fruit. It also gets worse as you get older.</p><p><br></p>When describing skin that is good, people generally resort to the same set of expressions: "as smooth as silk" (glass works, too), "lit from within," or "softer than a baby's bottom," which is a questionable basis of comparison but a thing we say nonetheless. So you can see why skin that's "like an orange peel " doesn't quite fit in there — and why the internet is riddled with complaints about the one and only skin concern to be named after a citrus fruit.
- The Pioneer Woman. It's easy to see why this side dish of cheesy, comforting potatoes with a potato-chip topping is Ree's most popular casserole recipe. Get the recipe:Ree Drummond's funeral potatoes" role="presentation" src="/upload/images/real/2018/03/12/slide-1-of-14-ever-heard-of-funeral-potatoes-the-popular-dish-originated-in-the-mormon-community-the_208619_.jpg?content=1" title="Ever heard of funeral potatoes? The popular dish "originated in the Mormon community. They called it... - TiffanyAure" />
- Ree Drummond's twice baked potato casserole" role="presentation" src="/upload/images/real/2018/03/12/slide-2-of-14-the-pioneer-woman-ingeniously-turns-twice-baked-potatoes-into-a-casserole-thats-perfec_587931_.jpg?content=1" title="The Pioneer Woman ingeniously turns twice-baked potatoes into a casserole that's perfect for feeding... - Well Plated" />
Twice Baked Potato Casserole
- Ree Drummond's cheesy hash brown casserole" role="presentation" src="/upload/images/real/2018/03/12/slide-3-of-14-hash-brown-casserole-is-a-classic-southern-breakfast-that-cant-be-beat-what-makes-ree-_642990_.jpg?content=1" title="Hash brown casserole is a classic Southern breakfast that can't be beat. What makes Ree Drummond's s... - Well Plated" />
Hash Brown Casserole
- Ree Drummond's green bean casserole" role="presentation" src="/upload/images/real/2018/03/12/slide-4-of-14-youll-want-to-bookmark-this-popular-green-bean-casserole-recipe-for-thanksgiving-and-b_620437_.jpg?content=1" title="You'll want to bookmark this popular green bean casserole recipe for Thanksgiving and beyond. Instea... - Well Plated" />
Green Bean Casserole
- Ree Drummond's chicken cordon bleu casserole" role="presentation" src="/upload/images/real/2018/03/12/slide-5-of-14-all-the-classic-elements-of-chicken-cordon-bleu-chicken-swiss-cheese-ham-and-a-creamy-_505243_.jpg?content=1" title="All the classic elements of chicken cordon bleu (chicken, swiss cheese, ham, and a creamy sauce) com... - Well Plated" />
Chicken Cordon Bleu Casserole
- Ree Drummond's turkey tetrazzini" role="presentation" src="/upload/images/real/2018/03/12/slide-6-of-14-tetrazzini-is-an-american-dish-usually-made-with-spaghetti-chicken-and-a-creamy-white-_147322_.jpg?content=1" title="Tetrazzini is an American dish usually made with spaghetti, chicken, and a creamy white wine sauce. ... - Well Plated" />
- Ree Drummond's corn casserole with red bell peppers and jalapeños" role="presentation" src="/upload/images/real/2018/03/12/slide-7-of-14-a-five-ingredient-dinner-that-couldnt-be-easier-is-rees-corn-casserole-with-corn-red-b_608965_.img?content=1" title="A five-ingredient dinner that couldn't be easier is Ree's corn casserole with corn, red bell peppers... - Well Plated" />
- Ree Drummond's chicken tortilla casserole" role="presentation" src="/upload/images/real/2018/03/12/slide-8-of-14-like-chicken-tortilla-soup-in-casserole-form-the-pioneer-womans-popular-mexican-inspir_321528_.jpg?content=1" title="Like chicken tortilla soup in casserole form, the Pioneer Woman's popular Mexican-inspired dinner ut... - Well Plated" />
Chicken Tortilla Casserole
- Ree Drummond's Mexican rice casserole" role="presentation" src="/upload/images/real/2018/03/12/slide-9-of-14-a-vegetarian-casserole-that-even-meat-eaters-will-love-is-rees-mexican-rice-casserole-_304165_.jpg?content=1" title="A vegetarian casserole that even meat-eaters will love is Ree's Mexican rice casserole, which is pac... - Well Plated" />
Mexican Rice Casserole
- Get the recipe:Ree Drummond's wild rice casserole" role="presentation" src="/upload/images/real/2018/03/12/slide-10-of-14-theres-no-can-of-cream-of-soup-in-the-pioneer-womans-broccoli-wild-rice-casserole-whi_858404_.jpg?content=1" title="There's no can of "cream of" soup in the Pioneer Woman's broccoli wild rice casserole, which gets it... - Well Plated" />
Broccoli Wild Rice Casserole
- leek and potato casserole" role="presentation" src="/upload/images/real/2018/03/12/slide-11-of-14-potatoes-are-a-common-theme-among-rees-most-popular-casseroles-and-this-cheesy-casser_947427_.jpg?content=1" title="Potatoes are a common theme among Ree's most popular casseroles, and this cheesy casserole with fres... - Well Plated" />
Leek and Potato Casserole
- cheesy refried bean casserole" role="presentation" src="/upload/images/real/2018/03/12/slide-12-of-14-popular-for-obvious-reasons-hello-tequila-and-cheese-this-mexican-casserole-can-be-se_486944_.jpg?content=1" title="Popular for obvious reasons (hello, tequila and cheese), this Mexican casserole can be served as a d... - Picasa" />
Cheesy Refried Bean Casserole
- Ree Drummond's hominy casserole" role="presentation" src="/upload/images/real/2018/03/12/slide-13-of-14-hominy-is-like-giant-corn-kernels-and-it-makes-an-excellent-base-in-this-unexpected-c_96736_.img?content=1" title="Hominy is like giant corn kernels, and it makes an excellent base in this unexpected casserole. Get ... - Well Plated" />
- Ree Drummond's cheese grits casserole" role="presentation" src="/upload/images/real/2018/03/12/slide-14-of-14-last-but-not-least-the-pioneer-womans-cheese-grits-casserole-is-a-must-try-for-anyone_576888_.jpg?content=1" title="Last but not least, the Pioneer Woman's cheese grits casserole is a must try for anyone who's never ... - Well Plated" />
Cheese Grits Casserole
This Simple Trick Will Change How You Prep Potatoes .
<p>This trick will dramatically change your ability to make a batch of potato salad big enough for the entire office, Little League team, or church choir.</p>As spring arrives, so does potluck season. We found one trick that will dramatically change your ability to make a batch of potato salad big enough for the entire office, Little League team, or church choir.
Super Quick Potato Peeling! - Life Hack
How to peel potatoes really quickly. This simple trick show you a speedy way to peel your potatoes without using a peeler. Great if you've got a lot of potatoes to peel. You need to boil the...
Tyler Florence's Hack Will Forever Change the Way You Make Mashed Potatoes
Tyler Florence's Hack Will Forever Change the Way You Make Mashed Potatoes Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCd-NQWUmDGH6Gq4XXWV2JcA Food Network chef Tyler Florence shared his mashed...
Wednesday, 16 may 2018
This one is still up for debate. Like many of you, I always believed that the club sandwich was created at some fancy country club somewhere, all the better for the rich people to enjoy their toasted white bread slathered with mayonnaise and piled high with chicken, lettuce, bacon, and […]
Tuesday, 12 june 2018
Discount supermarket chain Aldi has a history of punching above its weight in the alcohol industry. Last summer, its £10 ($13) gin was declared among the best in the world and it's £6 ($8) rosé wine won silver at the International Wine Challenge.Now, Aldi is ruffling feathers in the […]
Thursday, 07 june 2018
There's no reason to […]
Thursday, 31 may 2018
These shops will celebrate National Doughnut Day by handing out freebies -- with no purchase necessary in most cases -- on June 1.According to the Salvation Army, “National Donut Day” was created in 1938 and dates back to 1917 — amid World War I, during which the Salvation Army’s Donut […]
Friday, 01 june 2018
Top chefs and cooking experts, including Giada De Laurentiis, Adam Richman and Sunny Anderson, reveal their favorite grocery store finds.Think all big chefs insist on making their barbecue sauces from scratch? Think […]
Friday, 08 june 2018
The reported death of CNN travel host Anthony Bourdain sent shockwaves on Friday through the Provincetown restaurant scene, where Bourdain first got his start in the business decades ago. “He was really trying to connect food to people in a wonderful kind of way,” said John Yingling, a […]
Wednesday, 06 june 2018
Follow our simple recipe for margaritas on the rocks or blended.Take a break from whatever you're doing and imagine this: You're lounging on the beach. The sun is gently warming your skin as you wriggle your toes into the cool sand. You can hear waves rushing in the distance. And what's […]
Tuesday, 24 april 2018
I used to think I didn’t like asparagus, but it turned out to be—as these aversions often are—a textural problem. Their stalks would remain fibrous and tough even as half the stalk and the tips turned to mush. My mind was changed a few years ago when some restaurant dish I ordered came […]