Crime "Nightmare": Man wrongfully convicted of 2001 murder still awaits release

20:42  14 may  2018
20:42  14 may  2018 Source:   cbsnews.com

Los Angeles triple-murder suspect convicted in China a decade later, reports say

  Los Angeles triple-murder suspect convicted in China a decade later, reports say A Los Angeles triple-murder suspect was tried and convicted in his native China more than a decade after the shocking killings, according to multiple reports. Tai Zhi Cui, 55, was the boyfriend of one of three people found shot to death in a Koreatown restaurant in 2006.Cui had argued with his ex-girlfriend Kyung Hee Kang and her new boyfriend Seong Ung Kim, on the day of the murders, investigators said. He later reportedly walked into Cinyuya Restaurant, where Kang worked, and shot her, Kim and one of the restaurant’s owners, Jae Woong Cho, to death.

During a Wednesday hearing, a judge threw out Wilson's conviction and ordered his release from custody. (Credit: Mark Boster / Los Angeles Times). Prosecutors Now Agree With Man Who Insists He Was Wrongfully Convicted of Notorious Palmdale Murder .

Mr. Gatling, then 79, had himself been wrongfully convicted in 1964 of murdering an artist in the Crown Heights. Advertise with us. HomeNEWSMan Wrongfully Convicted of Murder Awaits His The following year, he commuted Mr. Gatling’s sentence; he was eventually released on parole.

A Missouri man hopes to walk out of prison today after serving nearly two decades for a murder he did not commit, in a case one judge called "manifest injustice." David Robinson was kept behind bars, even though another man confessed to the crime in 2004.

Robinson isn't the only one who says he's innocent; in February, a state judge agreed with him, and two weeks ago, the Missouri Supreme Court ordered his release.

And yet, Robinson remains in prison.

Attorney: Killer didn't hint about more victims at Michigan dig site

  Attorney: Killer didn't hint about more victims at Michigan dig site <p>The former defense lawyer for convicted killer Arthur Ream says his client never hinted that there were victims other than Cindy Zarzycki a decade ago when Ream was tried and convicted of murdering the teen.</p>Tim Kohler, who represented Ream in the 2008 Macomb County murder trial, told the Free Press on Wednesday he didn't get an indication that there may be other girls buried at the Macomb Township site where the 13-year-old Eastpointe girl's body was found after Ream's conviction.

Kristin Thorne has more on the Long Island man 's wrongful conviction .

CHICAGO (AP) — A 76-year-old man from Washington state who a prosecutor says was wrongly convicted in the abduction and killing of a 7-year-old Illinois schoolgirl in 1957 will be released from prison, a judge ordered Friday.

"Been a living nightmare. It's been an up-and-down rollercoaster," Robinson told "48 Hours" correspondent Erin Moriarty.

In 2001, Robinson was convicted of the murder of Sheila Box, a 36-year-old mother. She was found in her car a year earlier in Sikeston, Missouri, dead of a single gunshot wound to the chest.

Box's daughter, Crystal King, was 17 when she lost her mom. "I was in disbelief," she told Moriarty. "It changed my world forever. I have memories of dancing with her in the living room. She was extremely beautiful, loving, and caring."

Police believed Robinson, who had a history of drug crimes, shot Box during a drug deal. 

"That bothered me more than anything, to be wrongfully accused of killing a woman," Robinson said.

But there was little to tie Robinson to the murder: No physical evidence, just one eyewitness, Albert Baker, a paid police informant who claimed he saw Robinson shoot Box at a busy intersection.

Man gets extended sentence for ambush shooting of Philadelphia officer

  Man gets extended sentence for ambush shooting of Philadelphia officer A man convicted of ambushing a Philadelphia police officer with a hail of gunfire in the name of the Islamic State group has been sentenced to several decades in prison. Edward Archer was ordered Monday to serve 48½ to 97 years.A jury convicted Archer in February of attempted murder, aggravated assault and other charges stemming from the January 2016 shooting of Officer Jesse Hartnett in his patrol car.Hartnett, who returned fire, spent two weeks hospitalized. His arm was broken, and he suffered nerve damage.

Ruddy Quezada, a 54-year-old man wrongfully convicted of a deadly drive-by shooting in 1993 Salcedo recanted his testimony after defense lawyers tracked him down in the Dominican Republic in 2001 . Read More. Trial And Error: A Man Convicted of Murder Wins Release , and Questions of

David McCallum calls release a ‘bittersweet moment’ after prosecutors concluded he falsely confessed when he was 16.

a man standing in front of a building: David Robinson has been kept behind bars, even though another man confessed to the crime 14 years ago, and the Missouri State Supreme Court has ordered his release. © Provided by CBS Interactive Inc. David Robinson has been kept behind bars, even though another man confessed to the crime 14 years ago, and the Missouri State Supreme Court has ordered his release. Filmmaker Steve Turner, who is working on a documentary about the case, said, "There were no three or four eyewitnesses who saw him shoot her; there was just one guy who had a crazy story, and bam, he's gone."

There was also an inmate who claimed that Robinson confessed to him when they shared a cell. It turns out, according to Robinson's attorney Charlie Weiss, "He was never in the same cell as David Robinson, and the prosecution put him on the stand even though they knew he had never shared the same cell."

Robinson was sentenced to life without parole.

But three years later, the case against him fell apart. Another man confessed on tape to a defense investigator that he was the one who sold drugs to Sheila Box, and killed her. In a recording made on August 9, 2004, Romanze Mosby said, "I told her to throw the money, throw the money out and I'm gonna throw her the dope."

Man who spent 20 years in prison can sue SF police over false evidence claims

  Man who spent 20 years in prison can sue SF police over false evidence claims A San Francisco man who spent 20 years in prison for murder before his conviction was overturned can sue police for allegedly manipulating a key witness and falsifying evidence, a federal appeals court has ruled.&nbsp;A jury convicted Maurice Caldwell of second-degree murder for the fatal shooting of a man named Judy Acosta after an argument over drugs at the Alemany housing projects in June 1990. The chief prosecution witness, Mary Cobbs, identified Caldwell as the shooter.

When Ron Dalton was arrested and charged with second-degree murder in the death of his wife in 1988, his youngest son was still a baby After years of civil proceedings, Dalton received 0,000 in government compensation, but not every wrongfully convicted person sees any kind of payment.

Leping 5.24 Murder Case: Wrongfully Convicted Seek Justice From Those Responsible. These men have spent most of the last decade and a half behind bars, many of those years awaiting execution.

Mosby said he panicked when he saw she had a gun: "And that's when I just shot her, because I'd seen a little flash. I was walking up to it and she just raised her arm and that's when I shot her."

In 2009, Mosby took his own life – and Robinson remained in prison, even though, by then, both witnesses who testified against him admitted they had lied.

"I gave false testimony against David Robinson," said Albert Baker, the paid informant. He had been given $2,500 in cash and expenses after he agreed to testify.

And still, Robinson remained in prison, as appeal after appeal was denied.

Until last February, when Judge Darrell Missey ruled the evidence clearly shows that David Robinson did not kill Sheila Box. The conviction, he said, should be overturned because the lead detective John Blakely used "unreliable evidence" to convict Robinson and "ignored or suppressed facts"  which pointed away from him.

Moriarty asked Robinson, "You're still sitting here. How do you explain that to your family?"

"I can't," he replied. "I mean, I get asked that question every day by staff, by other offenders. But it hurt every time they ask me."

Details revealed in killing of teacher suspended over "personal vendetta"

  Details revealed in killing of teacher suspended over Police investigators say they’ll take all the time they need to find and convict the killer of Rachael DelTondo ."We could not be taking this more seriously. We had a young woman, 33-years-old, shot to death on the driveway of her mother's house on Mother's Day evening," said Beaver County District Attorney David Lozier. They've been canvassing the neighborhood, reviewing surveillance tapes, and have sent DelTondo's cell phone and others to a lab in Harrisburg to unlock the data, texts and communications.

The New York Times. N.Y. / Region| Man Wrongfully Convicted of Murder Awaits His the reduction in his sentence and his eventual parole, Mr. Gatling remained, officially, a convicted murderer . The next year, he commuted Mr. Gatling’s sentence; he was eventually released on parole.

A black Bronx man 's 1997 murder conviction will be vacated Monday and he'll be released from prison after prosecutors uncovered evidence that the victim, with his dying words, hinted that his killer was Hispanic.

Even the daughter still grieving a mother wonders why Robinson hasn't been released. 

"I believe in my heart that he is innocent and I stand by him," said Crystal King. "I lend my support to him and that's how it should be."

The State of Missouri has until the end of May to either retry Robinson, or free him.

Moriarty asked Robinson, "What do you want to do when you get out? What's the first thing you want to do?"

His reply: "Hug my mother."

The Missouri Attorney General is scheduled to make an announcement later today. It's not known for sure that Robinson will be released, but the lead detective resigned last week. And with no evidence remaining, it's likely Robinson will be allowed to finally go home to hug his mom.

a man smiling for the camera: 0514-ctm-moprisonrelease-moriarty-1568090-640x360.jpg © Credit: CBSNews 0514-ctm-moprisonrelease-moriarty-1568090-640x360.jpg

No parole for woman in Georgia teen's slaying in Alabama .
MONTGOMERY, Ala. — Alabama officials swiftly denied parole Wednesday for a woman convicted of murder in the 1982 death of a 13-year-old girl who was abducted from a Georgia shopping mall, sexually assaulted, and injected with drain cleaner before being fatally shot. After an emotional hearing, the Alabama Board of Pardons and Parole Boards took just 55 seconds to announce that it was refusing to free Judith Ann Neelley, 53. Neelley originally had been sentenced to the electric chair for the slaying of 13-year-old Lisa Ann Millican, but had her death sentence commuted, setting off a battle over her possible parole eligibility.

—   Share news in the SOC. Networks

Topical videos:

This is interesting!