The page you are looking for is temporarily unavailable.
Please try again later

Offbeat Trump loses bid for total secrecy for Cohen probe documents

01:15  09 june  2018
01:15  09 june  2018 Source:   reuters.com

Cohen Prosecutors to Get About 1 Million Items From Phones

  Cohen Prosecutors to Get About 1 Million Items From Phones The retired judge appointed last month to review documents seized by the FBI from Michael Cohen said she plans on Wednesday to turn over about 1 million items taken from three phones to federal prosecutors who can then begin reviewing them as part of their criminal investigation of President Donald Trump’s longtime lawyer and fixer. Barbara Jones, appointed to help determine which items are protected by attorney-client privilege, said in a report Tuesday that she’s reviewed thousands of pages and on May 23 turned over 292,000 items to the government.

Donald Trump has hired a new personal attorney to represent him in court in bid to block the FBI and Robert Mueller prepares to end Russia probe WITHOUT interviewing Trump Called Michael Cohen as Their Lawyers Went to Court Over Seized Trump Documents - The New York Times.

Cohen and Trump have fought back in court via their own lawyers that some of the documents Cohen will be probed for information on the president's alleged affairs including his payment to Celebs Go Dating star Lady Nadia Essex reveals she's lost a STONE in six weeks in a bid to find a

a man wearing a suit and tie: FILE PHOTO: U.S. President Donald Trump's personal lawyer Michael Cohen leaves federal court in Manhattan, New York © REUTERS/Shannon Stapleton FILE PHOTO: U.S. President Donald Trump's personal lawyer Michael Cohen leaves federal court in Manhattan, New York

A federal judge said U.S. President Donald Trump should publicly file his objections to findings of a court-appointed special master reviewing documents seized in a probe of the business dealings of his longtime personal lawyer, Michael Cohen.

In an order issued on Friday, U.S. District Judge Kimba Wood in Manhattan rejected efforts by Trump, the Trump Organization and Cohen to file their objections entirely under seal.

She agreed with the government that the filings should be public except as to portions that "divulge the substance of the contested documents."

FBI is reconstructing shredded documents obtained during Cohen raid

  FBI is reconstructing shredded documents obtained during Cohen raid The FBI is piecing together shredded documents found in its raid of Michael Cohen's home and office while investigating President Trump's personal attorney for suspected financial crimes.Prosecutors told a federal district judge on Wednesday that agents are working to reconstitute the contents of a shredder machine seized by the bureau du ring the raid.CNN reported that there is not a large amount of shredded material.The federal government has so far turned over 3.7 million seized documents for Cohen's attorneys to assess whether anything is privileged information.

Cohen is reportedly being investigated in a probe related to bank fraud and campaign finance violations. "The purpose of this exception is to assure that the secrecy between lawyer and client does not extend to obtaining advice in furtherance of "It's a total witch hunt," Trump added.

Attorneys for Cohen had argued that the identity of the third should remain secret . Trump would later hire Sekulow as a personal lawyer with regard to special counsel Robert Mueller’s probe .

Wood said she would decide later which portions could be sealed.

Joanna Hendon, a lawyer for Trump, did not immediately respond to requests for comment. Todd Harrison, a lawyer for Cohen, did not immediately respond to similar requests.

The criminal probe into Cohen's business dealings stems in part from a referral by Special Counsel Robert Mueller, who is investigating whether Trump's 2016 campaign colluded with Russia to influence that year's U.S. presidential election.

Trump has repeatedly said there was no collusion, and Russia has denied interference. Cohen has not been criminally charged.

The special master, former federal judge Barbara Jones, is reviewing materials seized in April raids of Cohen's home, office and hotel room, to determine which are subject to attorney-client privilege.

On Monday, she said in a report that 162 files, out of more than 292,000 reviewed so far, were privileged or partially privileged, and seven were "highly personal."

Roughly 3.7 million files were seized, Cohen's lawyers have said. Jones is reviewing only those that lawyers for Trump, the Trump Organization and Cohen believe might be privileged.

The case is Cohen v U.S., U.S. District Court, Southern District of New York, No. 18-mj-03161.

(Reporting by Jonathan Stempel in New York; Editing by Toni Reinhold)

Prosecutors recover 16 pages of shredded Cohen documents: court filing .
Federal prosecutors have reconstructed about 16 pages of shredded documents as part of material seized in raids involving President Trump's longtime personal attorney Michael Cohen earlier this year. © Provided by The HillA court filing submitted Friday to the judge in the Southern District of New York who is overseeing the files seized in the April raids states that the documents have been reconstructed and produced for the first time. Prosecutors also announced that FBI agents had recovered more than 700 pages of encrypted messages between Cohen and other recipients from the private chat apps WhatsApp and Signal.

Source: http://us.pressfrom.com/news/offbeat/-153219-trump-loses-bid-for-total-secrecy-for-cohen-probe-documents/

—   Share news in the SOC. Networks

Topical videos:

This is interesting!