US New Stephon Clark videos raise questions about time taken to render medical aid

16:21  17 april  2018
16:21  17 april  2018 Source:   MSN

Brother of Stephon Clark arrested on suspicion of threats

  Brother of Stephon Clark arrested on suspicion of threats SACRAMENTO, Calif. - Stevante Clark, the older brother of Stephon Clark, was arrested Thursday on suspicion of threatening to cause death or serious injury, as well as calling 911 to annoy or harass, according to Sacramento County jail booking information. Clark, 25, was arrested by Sacramento police and booked early Thursday afternoon, according to the booking information. He is ineligible for bail.Sacramento Police Department spokeswoman Linda Matthew confirmed the arrest, but said she could not immediately provide details. The department is expected to issue a statement later Thursday, she said.

(AP) -- Sacramento police shot Stephon Clark seven times from behind Police waited about five minutes before rendering medical aid . Jerry Brown issued his first statement on the situation earlier Friday, calling it a tragic death that " raises a number of very serious questions and I support the

Sacramento police shot Stephon Clark seven times from behind, according to autopsy results released Friday by a pathologist hired by Clark 's family, a finding that calls into question the department's assertion Police waited about five minutes before rendering medical aid .

Video by CBS Sacramento

SACRAMENTO, Calif. — Sacramento police Monday released 52 videos and one audio file of the Stephon Clark shooting, showing multiple instances of officers muting their body-worn microphones and raising questions about the length of time it took law enforcement to render medical aid.

Clark, 22, was shot by two Sacramento police officers March 18 in the backyard of his grandparents’ south Sacramento house. He was unarmed and holding a cellphone, which officers apparently mistook for a gun. The shooting set off weeks of protests and calls for police reforms in Sacramento to address what many see as bias in the policing of African-American and ethnic communities.

Police: Officers in Stephon Clark’s shooting have returned to work

  Police: Officers in Stephon Clark’s shooting have returned to work The two officers that shot and killed Stephon Clark last month are back on duty, the Sacramento Police Department said Thursday. The officers, whose names the department has not released, are not working in a patrol capacity for fear of their safety. The two officers that shot and killed Stephon Clark last month are back on duty, the Sacramento Police Department said Thursday.

— Sacramento police shot Stephon Clark seven times from behind, according to autopsy results released Friday by a pathologist hired by Clark 's family, a finding that calls into question the department's assertion the Police waited about five minutes before rendering medical aid .

Police waited about five minutes before rendering medical aid . Stephon Clark with girlfriend Salena Manni and their two sons, one-year-old Cairo Clark , and three-year-old Aiden Clark . The helicopter video shows the two officers at the corner of Clark 's grandmother's house and Clark on the backyard

Video released Monday confirms officers waited about five minutes from the time Clark was shot before they approached his body. They then spent about one minute handcuffing and searching him before beginning to administer CPR.

Pictures showing Stephon Clark and his wife Salena Manni, and sons Aiden Clark, 3, and Cairo Clark, 1, rested on a table inside his grandmother Sequita Thompson's home in Sacramento, Calif., on Tues., March 20, 2018. © Renee C. Byer/Sacramento Bee/TNS Pictures showing Stephon Clark and his wife Salena Manni, and sons Aiden Clark, 3, and Cairo Clark, 1, rested on a table inside his grandmother Sequita Thompson's home in Sacramento, Calif., on Tues., March 20, 2018. By the time fire department rescue workers were cleared by police to enter the scene — about a minute after CPR began — it appears that Clark already was dead. A fire department medic can be heard in another video of the same time frame saying, “We’re fixed and dilated here,” an apparent reference to Clark being nonresponsive.

Stephon Clark's brother, Stevante, released from jail

  Stephon Clark's brother, Stevante, released from jail The brother of Stephon Clark was released from jail Monday after he was arrested last week on a felony threat charge, according to Sacramento County Jail records. Stevante Clark, 25, was taken into custody around 10 a.m. Thursday at a house in the 900 block of Acacia Avenue, Sacramento police said. He was booked into Sacramento County Jail on a felony charge of threats to commit a crime resulting in death or great bodily injury, felony assault, felony vandalism and abusing the 911 emergency line, police said. Stevante Clark appeared in court Monday afternoon. All of his felony charges were dropped or reduced to misdemeanors and he was released on his own recognizance. He agreed not to contact those he's accused of threatening and to not make any non-emergency 911 calls. "For a person to be arrested, for a felony, and have a $1 million dollar bail set on them, suggests that this is a very serous case. And in the very first court case to have it reduced down to a misdemeanor, suggest that maybe someone didn't view it properly or that there were other factors that came in that made them reconsider what the position was going to be," Clark's attorney, Jeffrey Fletcher, said. Stevante Clark was apologetic when he spoke to KCRA from jail hours after being booked last week. “Tell them I’ll pay for everything. I’m sorry,” Clark said.

Bodycam footage of the incident released by Sacramento police last week showed officers did not immediately render aid after firing at Clark . Hundreds Rally in Sacramento After Stephon Clark Autopsy Raises New Questions in Police Shooting.

Stephon Clark with girlfriend Salena Manni and their two sons, Cairo Clark , 1, and Aiden Clark , 3. While police waited about five minutes before rendering medical aid , Omalu said it was Ready for the Daily News in real time ? Sign up now to start receiving breaking news alerts on your desktop.

Another person then asks: “Nonreactive?” A medic replies, “Yes,” and asks if anyone has a watch. He then calls the time as “21:42,” an apparent reference to Clark’s official time of death.

A forensic pathologist, Bennet Omalu, hired by the family last month to do an independent autopsy, estimated Clark likely survived between three and 10 minutes after being shot eight times by officers in the neck, torso and leg.

Demonstrators march to protest the police shooting of Stephon Clark, in Sacramento, California, March 23, 2018. Two Sacramento police officers, responding to a report of someone shattering car windows, killed Stephon Alonzo Clark, 22, on March 18 in a hail of bullets. Police video has shown the officers chasing Clark around the side of his grandparents' house, yelling Protesting Sacramento police killing of Stephon Clark

Photo gallery by Reuters

“The five minutes lapse in time, I’m not sure if it would have saved the life of Stephon Clark, but it would have increased the chances,” said Rashid Sidqe, a police reform activist with the Law Enforcement Accountability Directive. “We are looking for a response from the chief whether or not (officers) followed proper protocol, and if they did, how can we make the necessary changes so this doesn’t happen to another member of our community.”

Arrest of Stephon Clark's brother tied to alleged threat to kill roommate

  Arrest of Stephon Clark's brother tied to alleged threat to kill roommate SACRAMENTO, Calif. - Stephon Clark's brother, Stevante, was accused of threatening to kill one of his roommates and of shouting profanities at a Sacramento police officer, according to court papers obtained Friday by The Sacramento Bee. The accusations against Clark, who was arrested Thursday on charges that include suspicion of assault with a deadly weapon and making death threats, are contained in an application for a restraining order against him filed by Samantha Urke, who shared a house with her partner and Clark on Acacia Avenue.

Photo by Sacramento Police Department. Watch in Times Video ». Stephon Clark , the unarmed black man who was fatally shot last week by Sacramento police officers, was struck eight times , mostly in his back, according to an independent autopsy released Friday, raising significant questions

It’s unclear how many times Clark was hit, but Burris says the shooting is a clear example of an excessive use of force. They didn’t render first aid quickly enough. California AG Launches Investigation Into Stephon Clark Shooting. Brandon E. Patterson.

Police spokesman Sgt. Vance Chandler said the department would examine whether officers acted quickly enough with medical care. In the videos, police can be heard discussing if it’s safe to approach Clark in the minutes before they administer aid.

“That’s part of our investigation, looking at when aid was rendered,” Chandler said. “We will look at if it was appropriate given the circumstances.”

Plumas County deputy and police training expert Ed Obayashi said he believed the time taken before approaching Clark was reasonable under the circumstances. He said the possibility of other civilians in the area combined with officers’ inability to see both of Clark’s hands were risk factors.

“They approached him as soon as was safely practical,” Obayashi said. “From what I am seeing and hearing, the officers in my opinion exercised good tactical decision making.”

The videos released Monday also showed multiple instances in which police muted the microphones on their body-worn cameras.

After one of those instances came to light in the original release of video in the days after the shooting, the Police Department changed its policy on body-camera muting, ordering officers to keep their cameras and microphones on except in limited circumstances.

Under siege by Stephon Clark protests, Sacramento D.A. calls for patience

  Under siege by Stephon Clark protests, Sacramento D.A. calls for patience SACRAMENTO, Calif. - Under fire for her handling of the inquiry into the March 18 shooting death of Stephon Clark, Sacramento County District Attorney Anne Marie Schubert launched a public defense Wednesday, saying her office has not yet received the police investigation of the case and that it could take many months before her own investigation is complete. "The reality is, is that what "The reality is, is that what happened to Stephon Clark is a tragedy," Schubert said in a news conference during which she outlined the steps she takes in investigating officer-involved shootings and noted that she is not legally required to conduct such reviews.

(AP) -- Sacramento police shot Stephon Clark seven times from behind Police waited about five minutes before rendering medical aid . Jerry Brown issued his first statement on the situation earlier Friday, calling it a tragic death that " raises a number of very serious questions and I support the

Photo by Max Whittaker for The New York Times . Watch in Times Video ». Questions about excessive force hover over the case. Stevante Clark , the brother of Stephon Clark , at the Sacramento district attorney’s office on Wednesday.

In one video released Monday, the officer who originally was flagged for muting his microphone in the earlier video release again mutes it while examining the shooting scene with a female officer.

“I’m throwing my camera on mute, I don’t know where you are,” the male officer says.

He continues to walk around Clark’s body, focusing his flashlight on it for a few seconds. He shines the light on other parts of the backyard, including where a wooden picnic table and couches are stationed, looking at bullet damage.

His microphone stays on mute for more than a minute before the footage ends. The corresponding video of the muted time frame from the female officer who was with him was not released. Her body-camera footage ends immediately after the male officer announces his intention to mute.

In another video taken at a nearby church, four officers mute their mics before continuing to search the walls of Cathedral of Praise and Worship for bullet holes. The church sits in a large field south of the backyard where Clark was shot.

In body-camera video, an officer approaches three others as they shine their flashlights on the outer walls. They gather together, and before they start talking, one officer says, “Mute it,” and two officers reply, “Sir.”

The first officer says again, “Mute it,” and the two officers both reply, “Yeah.” The officers begin to speak, but the fourth officer says, “Wait,” before he turns off his mic and they start talking.

In a third instance, an officer directs fire personnel to the backyard and asks both officers involved in the shooting how many rounds they fired. One officer says he thinks five, the other says maybe six. After the officer leaves the backyard, he goes to make a phone call and turns off his camera.

Councilman Larry Carr said he’s anxious to understand why the officers muted their microphones after the Clark shooting and said he is hopeful that information will be revealed during the Police Department’s investigation of the shooting.

“If it’s one officer or 100 (muting their mics after the shooting), what we want is none,” he said. “If it’s one person or a lot, that’s concerning.” Carr previously said the shooting “just doesn’t look right.”

Chandler, the police spokesman, said the muting issues also would be examined by the department.

“All of the muting related to this incident, that will be part of our investigation, looking at why the body-worn cameras were muted and if it was appropriate,” he said.

Police account of black man's killing outside Walmart questioned .
A family lawyer says Diante Yarber was "profiled, stalked and murdered" by police in Barstow, CaliforniaBARSTOW, Calif. -- Police in southern California are facing questions over their account of a man's fatal shooting in a car in a Walmart parking lot. The April 5 incident in Barstow left 26-year-old Diante Yarber dead. Witnesses told the Los Angeles Times Yarber was killed in a barrage of about 30 bullets.

Source: http://us.pressfrom.com/news/us/-136855-new-stephon-clark-videos-raise-questions-about-time-taken-to-render-medical-aid/

—   Share news in the SOC. Networks

Topical videos:

This is interesting!