The page you are looking for is temporarily unavailable.
Please try again later

US U.S. plans to release detained American 'enemy combatant' in Syria

16:25  07 june  2018
16:25  07 june  2018 Source:   nbcnews.com

Trump reportedly bragged about a classified battle in Syria in which hundreds of Russian mercenaries were seemingly killed by US forces

  Trump reportedly bragged about a classified battle in Syria in which hundreds of Russian mercenaries were seemingly killed by US forces Leah Millis/Reuters President Donald Trump reportedly boasted about how US forces performed in a classified battle in Syria during a recent closed-door fundraiser, even as the White House has worked to keep details about the skirmish under wraps. The battle occurred in early February and involved a clash between US forces and a pro-Syrian government force that reportedly included Russian mercenaries. There are roughly 2,000 US troops in Syria.

“ Syrian Democratic Forces turned over an American citizen who surrendered to SDF on or around Sept. 12 to US forces. “The US citizen is being legally detained by Department of Defense personnel as a known enemy combatant .

He tried to settle down in Syria as a farmer of olives and almonds. At one point he bought 80 sheep and made a plan to resettle in Turkey, as a shepherd. The last American to be detained as an enemy combatant was Yaser Esam Hamdi, a Louisiana-born dual citizen of the United States and

Image: The Pentagon building on Sept. 24, 2017The Pentagon building seen on Sept. 24, 2017. © Provided by NBCU News Group, a division of NBCUniversal Media LLC Image: The Pentagon building on Sept. 24, 2017The Pentagon building seen on Sept. 24, 2017.

The United States plans to release an American citizen detained as an enemy combatant in Syria — a move the man's attorney said amounts to a "death warrant."

The unidentified man was picked up on a Syrian battlefield in September and accused of fighting for the terror group Islamic State. He's been held overseas while the Trump administration has waged a court battle with the American Civil Liberties Union over his fate.

Last month, in a victory for the detainee, a federal appeals court ruled that the U.S. could not "forcibly transfer" him to a third-party country such as Saudi Arabia, where he has dual citizenship, without proving to a court that he had fought for the enemy.

Samsung reportedly plans Galaxy Note 9 announcement on August 9th

  Samsung reportedly plans Galaxy Note 9 announcement on August 9th <p>We’re still months away from getting to the next burst of 2018 flagship phones, but a report from Bloomberg this afternoon says one of the biggest of those phones may come sooner than expected.</p>If that happens, it’d give Samsung more of a head start against this year’s iPhones. Last year, the Note 8 only went on sale after the iPhone 8 and X had been announced in September, which could have depressed sales by losing would-be buyers to Apple’s new tech. Supposedly, Samsung had actually be hoping to announce the Note 9 even sooner this year, but a report earlier this week said that it was delayed from July due to last-minute design changes.

Red Cross officials said Monday that they have been permitted to meet an American citizen being held in U . S . military custody after being captured in Syria last month. "I can confirm that the International Committee of the Red Cross met with the detained unlawful enemy combatant on Friday," he said in

The Pentagon has yet to release the name of the American in custody. Officials say he surrendered to U . S .-backed militia forces in Syria on or about Sept. U . S . forces are detaining him as an "unlawful enemy combatant " at an undisclosed location in Iraq, the Pentagon said.

Then on Wednesday, Department of Justice attorneys filed a notice with a federal judge in Washington that the Defense Department will release the man, referred to as John Doe in court papers, in an unnamed Syrian town in three or more days.

That move would render moot John Doe's habeas corpus petition challenging the right of the U.S. to continue holding him without charges.

ACLU attorney Jonathan Hafetz said it would also endanger his client. Syria is in the midst of a civil war.

"What the government is offering our client is no release — it's a death warrant. This is a disgraceful way to treat an American citizen," Hafetz said in a statement.

"Now, our fight for our client's right to due process has also become a fight for his right to life. We'll be asking the court to immediately intervene and ensure the safe release of our client."

A Teen Girl Was Found Guilty of Plotting a Terrorist Attack in London

  A Teen Girl Was Found Guilty of Plotting a Terrorist Attack in London An 18-year-old girl has been found guilty of planning, alongside her mother and sister, an attack on the British Museum in London, in what is being called the U.K.’s first all-female, ISIS-related terrorist plot. Safaa Boular, from Vauxhall, south London, was detained by police for her attempt to join her partner Naweed Hussain, an ISIS recruiter, in Syria, where the pair planned to carry out a suicide attack, according to the prosecutor in Boular’s trial. The pair had met online when Boular was about 16 and Hussain was 15 years her senior, Sky News reports. When Hussain was killed in Syria, Boular was charged and detained. She soon recruited her older sister, Rizlaune, to help with a grenade and gun attack in central London, wanting to join Hussain in martyrdom, The Guardian reports. Police discovered messages on her phone between the sisters, who used an Alice in Wonderland-themed code to discuss the plan. Rizlaine Boular, 22, pleaded guilty to plotting the attack and her mother, Mina Dich, admitted to assisting her, The Guardian reports. The prosecutor, Duncan Atkinson, said Boular and Hussain “planned to launch an attack against members of the public, selected largely at random, in the environs of that cultural jewel and most popular of tourist attractions, the British Museum, in central London,” according to Sky. Safaa Boular is one of the youngest women to have been charged and convicted of terrorism offenses in Britain. During the trial, her lawyer claimed that she had been “groomed” by Hussain. A jury deliberated for two days before finding Safaa Boular guilty. Sentencing will take place in about six weeks.

In mid-September, the administration acknowledged that it had captured an American in Syria . Though no facts about the detained individual have been In March, he abandoned the use of the term enemy combatant for the detainees there. Aiming to release or try all who remained in that prison camp, he

A U . S . citizen detained without charge as an enemy combatant for nearly four months has finally Thus far, The Daily Beast has reported that he was captured by U . S . proxies in Syria fighting for the “The American citizen expressed concern about his name being released and asked that it not be

In court papers, the U.S. has said the man joined the Islamic State, also known as ISIS, in 2014 in Syria, and that the man attended a training camp, pledged allegiance to its leader and was listed in an ISIS document as a "fighter."

He claimed he entered Syria as a freelance journalist and was kidnapped and forced to work for ISIS until he fled on a water truck and turned himself in to the Kurds, who handed him over to the U.S. military, according to court documents.

Without enough evidence to try the man on terrorism charges, the U.S. faced a dilemma over what to do with him. In the Wednesday filing, the U.S. said it told the ACLU it could release him in a Syrian town or outside a refugee camp but that his lawyers refused to state a preference.

The court filing by the government says the man "would not agree to the release as Respondent described it."

Hafetz said he will challenge the government's plan to release the man, who has been described in court papers as an electrical engineer with a wife and young child who has sporadically visited the U.S.

American student detained in Vietnam after protests .
William Nguyen was arrested on June 10 in Ho Chi Minh City while protesting a proposed government economic plan that would favor Chinese interests.William Nguyen, 32, from Houston "was beaten and dragged into the back of a police truck" on June 10 in Ho Chi Minh City, his family said in a statement.

Source: http://us.pressfrom.com/news/us/-152617-u-s-plans-to-release-detained-american-enemy-combatant-in-syria/

—   Share news in the SOC. Networks

Topical videos:

This is interesting!