World Victims condemn decision to release Britain's 'taxi rapist'

17:26  06 january  2018
17:26  06 january  2018 Source:   ap.org

Heightened security expected in Las Vegas on New Year's Eve

  Heightened security expected in Las Vegas on New Year's Eve LAS VEGAS — An unprecedented number of law enforcement officers and National Guard members will be on duty when tens of thousands of people gather to ring in 2018 on the Las Vegas Boulevard.The heightened security measures come just three months after the deadliest mass shooting in modern U.S. history took place in Las Vegas.The Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department will have every officer working Sunday, while the Nevada National Guard is activating about 350 soldiers and airmen after lawmakers approved tripling the state funding for the event's security measures.The federal government is also sending dozens of personnel to assist with intelligence and other efforts.

Britain ’ s Parole Board announced this week that a panel had approved his release . More than 50 lawmakers have signed a letter urging the parole board to reveal whether victims were consulted about it. Groups that work with sex abuse survivors have condemned the decision .

British prosecutors were under mounting pressure Saturday to explain why a former London taxi driver suspected of assaulting dozens of women is being freed after less than a decade in prison.

This undated file photo made available on Friday Jan. 5, 2018 by the Metropolitan Police, shows John Worboys. The former black-cab driver is to be released from prison who was jailed for life in 2009 after being convicted of 19 offences, including one count of rape, although police believe he has attacked many more women. (Metropolitan Police via AP) © The Associated Press This undated file photo made available on Friday Jan. 5, 2018 by the Metropolitan Police, shows John Worboys. The former black-cab driver is to be released from prison who was jailed for life in 2009 after being convicted of 19 offences, including one count of rape, although police believe he has attacked many more women. (Metropolitan Police via AP)

LONDON — British prosecutors were under mounting pressure Saturday to explain why a former London taxi driver suspected of assaulting dozens of women is being freed after less than a decade in prison.

John Worboys was convicted in 2009 of raping or sexually assaulting 12 women he picked up as passengers over an 18-month period.

The Latest: Storm derails train, closes zoos in Germany

  The Latest: Storm derails train, closes zoos in Germany <p>Zoos have been closed, roads flooded and a train has derailed as a winter storm batters large parts of Germany.</p>10:40 a.m.

Britain ' s Parole Board announced this week that a panel had approved his release . Kim Harrison of law firm Slater Gordon, which represented several victims , told the BBC Saturday that the women felt "betrayed and devastated."

Britain ' s Parole Board announced this week that a panel had approved his release . More than 50 lawmakers have signed a letter urging the parole board to reveal whether victims were consulted about it. Groups that work with sex abuse survivors have condemned the decision .

He attacked women who had been out at London bars and clubs, telling them he'd won money on the lottery and inviting them to join him in a celebratory glass of champagne. The drinks were laced with sedatives, and Worboys then assaulted the stupefied victims in the back of his cab.

The cabbie was convicted on charges relating to a fraction of the 102 women who made allegations against him, including 19 who came forward after he was convicted.

Police chose not to press further charges, but lawyers for some of the women say they were assured that Worboys was likely to spend many years in prison.

Worboys, now 60, was given an indefinite sentence "for public protection," and told he would not be let out of prison until he no longer posed a threat to women. Britain's Parole Board announced this week that a panel had approved his release.

Officials say regulations prevent them from disclosing the reasoning behind the decision. More than 50 lawmakers have signed a letter urging the parole board to reveal whether victims were consulted about it.

Groups that work with sex abuse survivors have condemned the decision. Yvonne Traynor, chief executive of Rape Crisis South London, said Worboys had served a "woefully short time in prison."

Kim Harrison of law firm Slater Gordon, which represented several victims, told the BBC that the women felt "betrayed and devastated."

"Several victims" injured after gunman opens fire on S.F. highway .
Police were investigating a shooting on a busy highway in San Francisco early Monday morningSAN FRANCISCO -- A gunman opened fire on Highway 280 in San Francisco early Monday, wounding several people and forcing the shut down of the southbound lanes of the freeway for several hours, CBS San Francisco reports. The California Highway Patrol said they and the San Francisco police received calls reporting the shooting at around 3 a.m. on southbound 280 at Alemany Boulevard in San Francisco.

—   Share news in the SOC. Networks

Topical videos:

This is interesting!