World Report: North Koreans skip meeting to discuss remains of American troops

17:42  12 july  2018
17:42  12 july  2018 Source:   thehill.com

U.S., North Korea to meet on Sunday over war remains

  U.S., North Korea to meet on Sunday over war remains North Korea has offered to meet an American delegation on Sunday to discuss the repatriation of remains of soldiers killed in the Korean War, a U.S. State Department spokeswoman said on Thursday. Spokeswoman Heather Nauert said North Korea's Vice Chairman Kim Yong Chol had agreed in earlier talks with U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo to meet on or about July 12 in Panmunjom with an American delegation over the remains. That meeting did not materialize."Midday today they contacted us and offered to meet on Sunday," Nauert said in a statement. "We will be ready.

U.S. President Donald Trump met with North Korean Supreme Leader Kim Jong-un on June 12, 2018, in Singapore, in the first summit meeting between the leaders of the United States of America and

SEOUL, South Korea — North Korean officials did not show up on Thursday for a meeting with Americans at the inter- Korean border to discuss the return of remains of United States soldiers killed in the Korean War, officials said.

North Korean officials reportedly did not show up Thursday at a scheduled meeting with U.S. officials to discuss returning the remains of American soldiers, and instead suggested talking with United Nations military leaders about the issue.

Yonhap News in South Korea reported that North Korea asked the United Nations Command to hold "general-level military talks" about returning the remains of American troops killed in the Korean War.

A source told Yonhap that North Korea "wants a U.S. general to appear at the table to quickly finalize the repatriation issue."

If the U.S. agrees to the meeting, it would mark the first time North Korea has engaged in military talks with the United Nations military body since 2009.

U.S., North Korea Will Try Again to Discuss Return of War Dead

  U.S., North Korea Will Try Again to Discuss Return of War Dead U.S. and North Korean officials are expected to meet Sunday to discuss returning the remains of American soldiers killed almost seven decades ago, a possible chance to ease tensions between the two sides they as argue over disarmament issues. The negotiations are the first working-level talks since Secretary of State Michael Pompeo’s visit to Pyongyang ended earlier this month with North Korea denouncing the U.S.’s “unilateral and gangster-like demand for denuclearization.” The meeting was initially planned for Thursday, but was rescheduled after the North Koreans failed to show.The U.S.

The Report . Photos. News. Columns. WASHINGTON (AP) — It's been more than a decade since North Korea turned over the remains of American troops missing from the Korean War.

Skip to content Skip to site index. Asia Pacific. Subscribe. “The North Koreans did not present any conditions that the United States could not accept, such as the withdrawal of American troops in South Korea ,” Mr. Moon told newspaper publishers in Seoul, before his own planned summit meeting with

Kelly McKeague, who leads an agency that locates remains of U.S. soldiers on foreign battlefields, said Wednesday that U.S. officials expected to meet with North Korean officials on Thursday to flesh details on how to go about securing the remains of additional U.S. troops.

McKeague told Reuters it will be months before excavations can start in the search for remains in North Korea. It could be years before some of those remains can be identified, he added.

President Trump repeatedly claimed after his summit with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un last month that Pyongyang had agreed to return the remains of U.S. soldiers who died during the Korean War. In late June, he said the remains of 200 U.S. or allied service members had been returned.

While Trump touted the summit as a sweeping success and declared North Korea is no longer a nuclear threat, relations have been shakier in recent weeks.

Secretary of State Mike Pompeo traveled to Pyongyang last week to meet with North Korean officials for the first time since the summit. He dismissed North Korean claims that the U.S. was acting like a "gangster" in pressuring the country to denuclearize, saying North Korea has not pushed back in negotiations.

Pompeo shrugs off NKorea's 'gangster' rebuke, cites progress .
U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo on Sunday brushed aside North Korea's accusation of "gangster-like" demands, maintaining that his third visit to the country was producing results but vowing that sanctions would remain until Pyongyang follows through on leader Kim Jong Un's pledge to get rid of his nuclear weapons. Pompeo downplayed North Korea's statement after the talks in which the country's foreign ministry bashed hopes for a quick deal and accused the U.S. of making "gangster-like" demands aimed at forcing it to abandon nuclear weapons.

Source: http://us.pressfrom.com/news/world/-164989-report-north-koreans-skip-meeting-to-discuss-remains-of-american-troops/

—   Share news in the SOC. Networks

Topical videos:

This is interesting!